Headed into the great outdoors? Hiking is a great way to get active while keeping your distance from others, but it can be a tough workout. Try this trail mix recipe with performance-boosting protein and fats, and just the right mix of salty and sweet.
- ¾ cup walnuts
- ¾ cup almonds
- ½ cup raw sunflower seeds
- ½ cup dried cherries, unsweetened and unsulfured
- ½ cup raisins, unsweetened and unsulfured
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Store in a plastic bag or mason jar. This will keep for up to a month.
Nutrition facts (per serving)
116 calories; 3 g protein; 8 g carbohydrates; 2 g fiber; 8 g fat
Customize this recipe for your goals
- Stay active: Reap the energy-producing benefits of magnesium in this mix by adding ½ cup raw sunflower seeds.
- Destress: Adding ½ cup of 82% dark chocolate to this mix can help decrease the stress hormone cortisol and is rich in additional health-promoting antioxidants.
- Maximize performance: This recipe supports hydration status for performers with a boost of electrolytes from the nuts and seeds. Level it up even more by adding ¼ teaspoon of sea salt to the recipe. Carry some of this mix to help you get through a long endurance activity or as a snack on active days.
Interested in more ways to stay healthy at home? Visit exosathome.com for daily workouts, mindset practices, and more.
About the AuthorMore Content by Patrick Golden